The Revealing!


 The Problem:  Tight financial situation. . . too many places our money needs to go!

The Challenge:  To not spend any money on school clothes for the girls. . . Use fabric that I already have, clothes I already have, etc.

The Result: A *LOT* of fun!  The girls loved being able to be a part of the designing and making process.  I had fun knowing that I've hardly spent anything, yet the girls have a few fun new outfits for school!  

Total Spent:  Less than $15.  This includes the new t-shirts with a couple of the skirts I made, a cute piece of fabric I have yet to use, and some elastic!  Everything else came from our own house!

Vivien's First Outfit:  

Her skirt is made from an old pair of blue cords that ALL four girls wore.  Vivs wore them last winter, and they were going in the goodwill box until I saw an idea online to make old jeans into skirts. . . this is what I came up with.  The material I bought when I was pregnant with Lillian!!  It was planned to be a nighty. . .

There was a pretty good sized stain on this super cute shirt that was Lillian's, then Ella's. . . I hated to toss it, and thought I could cover it with something. . . I saw a cute flower online and tried to recreate it - it's a little big, but it covers the stain!  The ric-rac stem covers the rest!!
The leggings are made from the sleeves of an old shirt of mine.  I've kept the top of it - not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I'm not ready to toss it quite yet!

My Favorite Projects:  Milo's Dress Shirts into Dresses for the Girls!

I saw several tutorials online on how to create a dress from a man's shirt.  Here are my attempts:










An old sweater vest of Milo's became a cute school-girl dress for Lillian!



With the remnants of the vest that I'd cut off, I made cute and warm leggings for Vivien:



A Play Dress for Ella

When Steve & Barry's was going out of business last year, I'd purchased this adult 3/4 sleeve long shirt for $1.  I wanted Ella to wear it as a dress.  She did. Once.  It gaped at the neck and was quite baggy around her body.  I knew it needed to be altered. . .

The first thing I did was add a little bit of lace at the top - not the most wonderful solution, but very easy and she loved the girly-ness of it! I still struggled with how baggy it was around her tummy.  I tried to pull the threads where it's gathered, to gather it more - when I later looked at it, it had loosened & I must have broken threads as it was starting to come apart.  I added a line of elastic along the front, and it looked HORRIBLE - very uneven and 'curly'.  So that was ripped out. . . I finally thought to do this:

I used elastic thread and "shirred" the back.  It's kind of like smocking.  It turned out SUPER cute and now fits quite well!


The girls got a Loft Bed last year - so I was about to donate their bedskirt - until I started thinking about how much fabric that was at my fingertips!!  I still have skirts on the go that I'll finish soon, but I thought of a cute dress for Madison.  As I got going, a shirt to pair with jeans sounded more her style.  If you look down at the girls' feet here (Madison with her best friend, Lindsay from a couple of years ago) you can see a glimpse of the bedskirt.  Green, white and pink stripes. 
Here is what I came up with:



Madison was given a very cute long sleeved shirt.  It was way too big for her, so I had put it away for later, until I'd made those leggings for Vivien out of my shirt.  I dug this one out and decided I'd make some for Ella.  Here's how they turned out. . . 



Here she's wearing a skirt that both Madison and Lillian have worn, and a back to school shirt of her own from last year.  It all looks new again when paired with these cute leggings!

After cutting the sleeves off, I had a vision for Madison.  A little more shirring, some work on the neck & sleeves, and this is what I came up with:


Some twirly skirts. . .

When we first started going through fabric, Lillian fell in love with some remnants of orange fabric.  I'd made a car seat cover with this being the contrast fabric a few years ago and this is what was left.  I added a tie with some wooden beads and Lillian was in heaven!  I found this t-shirt on a great sale, and then made the flower out of scraps & a few more wooden beads.  The outfit was complete!


My friend, Skye makes a tonne of SUPER cute things.  When I saw a purse that she made with the most adorable flower on it, I knew I wanted to make one to go with Ella's skirt.  This was my first attempt at the flower - it definitely needs work, but Ella couldn't be happier, so I'll be leaving it for now!!

She loves how twirly this skirt is!  The material from this skirt came from a maternity dress of mine!!  So much fabric in such obscure places. . . 

Here's Madison's version of the twirly skirt.  Hers is more a-line than Ella's because I didn't want it to look so 'little girl-ish'. 

The girls loved their photo shoot!!  Now they're ready to wear their school clothes for REAL!


I have several more projects either on the go or planned.  I'll post pics when I have another batch to share. . .



Comments

M said…
Wow, those are incredible!!!! You should totally make stuff to sell on Etsy Hilary!
Anonymous said…
WOW!!!! seriously amazing!!!! even dave can't believe the creativity!!!! good work!
Chel said…
Okay, I knew you were beyond talented but come on...so much creativity and ingenuity---!!! Your girls look so beautiful, too. Good luck to all of them at school on Tuesday...
The Kalcichs said…
That looks awesome, Hilary! Every outfit is adorable. What an awesome and creative seamstress you are!
Hilary, you are SUCH an AWESOME Mom! I really wish I had 1/2 as much creativity and sewing talent! So COOL!
Hilary! You never cease to AMAZE me!!! They all look ADORABLE!! It's funny how when I sit down at the sewing machine...stuff doesn't usually come out nearly that cute (or functional!!). I love all the outfits!!
Skye O. said…
I love everything you did! So cute and creative! That is real TALENT! I'm sending your blog to my Mom because this is the kind of stuff she drools over. I love the sweater dress for Madison. You'd never know these things came from your old stash!
Skye O. said…
Oh, you should send your blog post to "u create" or another craft blog to share your creations with other moms!!! If you don't, can I?
Michelle said…
Very talented! Those clothes are cute. And your girls make perfect models.
Celeste Adams said…
Those clothes are so cute! Now can you come over and teach me?
Tiffany D said…
Way to go!!! You are AMAZING!!
Anonymous said…
So of course my computer won't show me the majority of the photos, but the ones I saw are awesome! We have some bags for give away, but I'll look and see if there's anything you might be able to use-or you can come look since you've got the creative eye! Where'd you end up going for the picts.? I'll have to come see the rest @ your house! WAY TO GO!!! -Mary
Heather said…
WOW Hilary! Talk about impressive. And your girls look like they should be modeling in a catalogue! I only hope I can have half as much creativity when my babe is born!!
Tam said…
oh. my. goodness! you are awesome and your girls are beautiful. amazing.
Anonymous said…
Boy, does this ever take me back!!!You are amazing in what you've created. WE older gals were taught these tricks in Relief Society when I was a young mom...good for you for deciding to go with this project. I am supremely proud of you. I wish i had some photos of things that I'd made...I have a couple... but not of the recycled items. We made boys dress shirts, and girls white blouses from men's white shirts, Church pants and jackets or vests from old suits. It actually was a satisfaction for me as well, so I applaud your accomplishments! Love, Mom
Jen B. said…
Holy cow -- when I am coming to your house for a sewing expedition? These look wonderful!!!
Stephanie Ewell said…
Um...can I PLEASE be you??? I am soooo impressed, you are an amazing woman Hil.What lucky and beautiful girls...and cute models! My little Eden is so lucky to have inhereted the hand me downs! Wow...I really want to buy myself a sewing machine and come out there for a workshop where u can teach me- and I can bring my own fabric. Do u think I am kidding- I am SO NOT KIDDING....I need to call u soon- Love u THurber Gang:)
Aimee said…
What can I say that hasn't already been said?! You are AMAZING, and everything is so cute. If only I had your abilities...
Melissa J. said…
Hey! Everything turned out so AMAZING - I knew they would. You're so talented. I love their little photo shoot that you did, too - it looks like they loved every minute of it. I agree with Skye - you totally need to forward this to a blog or something to share with other moms. Too cute to not share. Good job!!!
The Amayesings said…
Woo hoo!!! SO very cute. I'm so impressed!
Jill said…
I am way too impressed not too comment. I got here from Ann's blog. I love your ideas and will definitely be trying some of them out. So glad you shared. My daughter is already excited to make something new.
Unknown said…
You are AMAZING!!! I told you about my idea of you teaching "how to be the perfect mommy" workshop. Now you can add seamstress extraordinaire to that.
And I cannot believe how beautiful and grown up the girls are. I miss you guys so much. I love you!
Bella said…
Okay, so you have like a billion people telling you how wonderful these are.....so..i'll be a billion and one! Talk about creative!!!!! Project Runway anyone? hahaha
Anonymous said…
My very dear Hilary-I sooo admire the work and effort that you put into my beautiful grandaughters wardrobe. Even more important for them to see is their mother making the best with what she has.Ann
Robyn said…
Holy crud! I had no idea you were such a seamstress!! The outfits are amazingly adorable! Of course, those girls of yours could wear just about anything and look beautiful! But such creativity...man, I'm impressed!
Mandy said…
YOu are so amazingly talented! Those are such darling things you made for your girls. I hope we have a girl too one day.
Impressive-You are so domestic!!! My friend made cookies with choc kisses in the middle and it reminded me of you! Been thinkin about you guys-

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward