Can't Help Being Patriotic.

I was happy to read at the beginning of the week that today is considered "National Doughnut Day". Somehow I have been unaware of this this amazing tradition! It lands on the first Friday of June each year since 1938. It began as a fundraiser for Chicago Salvation Army to raise much-needed funds during the Great Depression, and to honor the work of World War I Salvation Army volunteers who prepared doughnuts and other foods for thousands of soldiers.

When I heard about this national holiday, I knew that I needed to show my patriotism and support the cause. (I must note, shamefully, that I did not participate in this year's National Running Day, which occurred this past Wednesday. . . hmmmm . . . doughnuts are just a little more appealing, sadly. . . but I *DID* run this week - does that count???)

After school, the girls, my *fantastic* Sister-in-law, Diamond, and my cutie niece, Aveh headed to our local Bakery to partake. Sadly, they hadn't heard of National Doughnut Day, and were confused as to why all of their doughnuts sold out early in the day!! So, we began our trek home. Poor Vivien was heartbroken. What could we do, but pile in the van and head to Timmie's to rectify the situation?So, while I'll try to remember more days like "National Running Day", I think that we'll be implementing this sweet doughnut tradition!

Comments

Anonymous said…
sounds like an **excellent** tradition! looks like lil was doing some heavy reading in the van..... another harry potter????
ThurberGang said…
Yes - she finished the sixth today - starting on the seventh tomorrow, looking like a trip to the library will be in order!
jbrimhall said…
How fun! Love the picture of viv being ticked off about the lack of donuts -- so fun.
Robyn said…
Wow...I wish I knew about National Doughnut Day!!! Fortunately, every Friday at work is donut & kolache day. YUM!
Gornichec's said…
I love it! you are my idol! always finding new ways to celebrate junk food! we are so sisters!
Kristine said…
WOW>..what's up? You haven't updated forever! Hopefully you are having a fabulous summer! Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The Revealing!

Proud to be a Detroiter?