What Should I Blog About Today?

Many a blog posts filter through my mind on a daily basis. Sometimes it's when I'm taking pictures and I instantly think of a caption; sometimes it's when my kids say something that has me laughing so hard I cry. Sometimes it's when I'm sitting in traffic and have oh-so poignant thoughts about life or love or something equally impressive. Sometimes I think about sharing my successes - or failures, my disappointments, or the things I'm really excited about. Sometimes I'm just plain lonely and I know that friends are here. And, sometimes I'm feeling creative and at my computer is where I want to be.

But most often, those blog posts go unwritten. The thoughts are fleeting and I often find myself grappling for those amazing ideas that had so easily come in a different setting. So, I find myself now - with a desire to blog - and without a subject to write about!

Should I post about last weekend? The weekend that I was in charge of the entire concessions at our only home swim meet of the year. I worked from Friday at 3 until Sunday at 5, with no breaks except to race down the hallway to watch my girls swim and then race back to sell more food. (and a couple of *short* hours of sleep per night - one of which I picked my **AMAZING** sister, Tristin up from the train station in Windsor at midnight, and the other we were awakened to a vomiting Ella at 4 a.m.) Should I tell anyone who hadn't already heard about the 36 pounds of ground beef I'd browned that week, and made into homemade chili and sloppy joes? Or the weeks of preparation that went into concessions - organizing menus and prices, donations and workers? Or should I admit the panic and horror I experienced when I found out that Lillian had a Synchronized Skating competition the very same weekend of this crazy swim meet? Thankfully, I realized this when Tristin was visiting at the end of last year. She saw me burst into tears, and Lillian burst into tears, and quickly came to our rescue by realizing she'd be close by in Toronto at the time, and could come up to support Lil. She also worked Saturday morning and all day Sunday, in between shuttling the kids to and from warm ups and skating, going out on grocery store runs when our concessions were getting short, and so many other little things that I just don't want to imagine trying to go through that weekend without her! Should I gush about how well Ella and Vivien did at the meet? And how disappointed Ella was that she couldn't swim the second day b/c she'd gotten sick? Or that Lillian busted out the fastest 100 free she's EVER done - in fact, 8 seconds faster than she'd ever swam it??!!! Or how Madison was frustrated with a few of her swims, so she left it ALL in the pool in her 100 IM and was a blur in the pool? Or that Lil's team came in third at her competition and she was so honored that her auntie was there to watch her - *AND* her former ballet teacher? That weekend should probably be blogged about. . .

I could also blog about the weekend before - I went to a Love and Logic conference on Saturday morning (fabulous!), threw a birthday party for Lillian in the afternoon (a "movie" party where we started at home and then went to the cheap theaters and watched 'Secretariat'. So fun!), and another for Madison in the evening (a "backwards" party where we greeted each guest by telling them 'good bye, thanks for coming' and had everything in the house backwards and upside down - even the kitchen table!)!











I could blog about how I spend my days now that all of the kids are in school, or how I'm not getting to bed any earlier, even though I was SURE I would since I'd have the quiet I savor about late nights while the girls are gone during the day. Turns out I'm way too hard on myself to allow too much 'reveling in the quiet' - and I keep myself quite busy.

I could write about Vivien losing her 2nd tooth tonight! (Third tooth, total - she'll be quick to inform you. She had one pulled a few months ago.)


Or, should I write about the State of the Union that is being broadcast as I write this? Several of the things President Obama says has my heart applauding along with the crowd, but there are times when I wonder if they really need to give standing ovations as often as they do - doesn't that diminish the power of the topics that really deserved the ovation? Just another thought in this over-worked mind!

So, I really could blog about many things. . . maybe I'll have an idea next time I sit at my computer.



Comments

Skye O. said…
Really, it's amazing that you have time to blog it all. You're incredible with all that you do for your family! I love the 'backwards birthday part' idea. My boys would love that!
Anonymous said…
so good to see a new post!! always LOVE to see what's up with the thurber gang... :-)
alyaia75 said…
So nice that your sister was there for you! And it looks like you found plenty to blog about.
Mary Thurman said…
Hooray for Auntie Tristin! What a relief that she could come and do that for you. Sisters are the best!
Christie said…
Hilary, you are one busy mama! Keep on blogging. It's been great to reconnect. My daughter is missing her two front bottom teeth also. Families are never ending excitement and fun. Lots of Aloha!

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The Revealing!