Glitches and Stitches. (warning - graphic pictures)

This morning was going *so* well. I'd slept in, so I didn't feel terribly exhausted - as I've been feeling lately. . . I'd paced myself pretty well getting all four girls fed and dressed, I was showered and almost completely ready to leave *30 minutes* earlier than normal to go to church so that I could make some copies of the new song that we're singing in choir. I obviously had some divine help getting us ready in such good time, because it sure came in handy!! As I was upstairs in my bedroom doing my hair, I called for Vivien to come to me. I heard her at the bottom of the stairs, letting me know that she was on her way. A few seconds later, there was a bang. It wasn't the crazy noise that gets you running - I sat still for a second, listening to if I needed to come or if things were fine - until *the* scream came after the initial shock of silence. You know the one. . . I was downstairs in a flash and saw Vivien on her back at the foot of the stairs. In one hand she had about 8 pieces of cheese, and in the other was a container of pudding I didn't even know we had. She must have lost her footing, but was intent on saving the food!! I picked her up, expecting her to have a bump on the back of her head, when I saw the blood begin to drip and her hair matting at her forehead. A quick look confirmed that stitches would be needed. I called a friend who lives close by, he's a doctor and he wonderfully came by to check her out. He confirmed that the gash (which was small, but quite deep) would indeed need stitches instead of the more child friendly glue or steri strips. I packed up my already (mostly) ready family with the help of his great wife, Mary, and dropped the other 3 girls at church where Milo was waiting. Then Vivien was so brave as Mr. (Dr!) Kendall and I drove to the Urgent Care center where he works. He numbed her up with liquid soaked gauze first, then used a needle for just a little bit more freezing. She didn't love it at first, but she became pretty comfortable and talked to me as Kendall put three stitches into her forehead. I was surprised to get a little queasy - I'm wondering if Viv's is just going to do that to me. I haven't gotten queasy seeing the other girls' stitches and injuries, but this did it to me, just as her tongue did last year. When it was all over, she happily went back to church, and her teacher proclaimed that this was the best she's been in class, so I guess that's pretty great! These pics are especially for you, Megan. . . there are a couple of grosser ones if you want me to email them to you separately!

































I wasn't blogging when Vivien bit through her tongue last year. I'll include that story, too - just for posterity. . . I'm cutting and pasting the story through a couple of emails that I sent at the time - much easier!!

(jan.11, 2008)vivie tripped this morning and bit her tongue. *badly*. it's almost all the way through, major gashes on the top and the bottom. it's about 1.5 inch wide. our ent came over right away this morning and looked at it on his way to the hospital and said that because it's still solidly attached on each side, they wouldn't do stitches. the *only* time they do stitches in the mouth is when there's a chance that the tongue will fall off and be a choking hazard. (big gag.) they would need to put her completely under to stitch it. when i first saw it, i went about getting her calmed down and trying to put ice on it, but after my adrenaline wore off a bit, i almost passed out. i almost dropped her and i had to get madison to grab her. i sat for a while with my head between my knees. i can't say that i feel much better now - but i'm not falling over, that's good.




(jan 22, 2008)viv's tongue . . . poor baby girl. . . she was wearing one of the big girls' skirts and dress up shoes and tripped up the stairs - she landed with her tongue sticking out quite a bit and her teeth went almost completely through on both sides. when she stuck her tongue out, it flopped down, she had no control of her muscles. it was *horrible*. . . she couldn't eat or drink for a few days and when she did, she would cry and say that her tongue was 'falling' in a big panic, like she thought it would fall off. she also would tell people (in her new funny voice that didn't use her tongue) that her tongue was 'broken'. it was truly heartbreaking to me. anyway, it's looking *amazing* now. there's still a definite cut, but it's healing tremendously.

This is about three weeks later. I was *AMAZED* at how well it healed! She still has her scar, but you sometimes have to look for it. . . this girl will have lots of stories to tell her own kids someday!!

Comments

The Kalcichs said…
Those are some graphic pics! I'm glad I'm not the only one that does blogging in a bundle! I can't wait to see what else you'll do tonight! As for me - I'm going to bed.
Jen B. said…
LOVE the pics!!! Esp. the one with the gloved hand -- great shot.
Stephanie Ewell said…
Poor little Viv!! Shes a toughie! Of course I will take cute little baby girl hand me downs- especially from the Thurber gals!! Will you rub off some of their cuteness, personality & manners first before you pass them on to me! I hope my girl will be like yours! love u guys:)

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The Revealing!

Proud to be a Detroiter?