An Unrealized Compliment!

Alright - to you, this may not seem like a big deal, but for me - - AMAZING. Milo and I stopped at "Chili's" for an appetizer after a church meeting tonight. The waiter gave us a memorized list of what was available to drink - all alcoholic. We ordered water, and he was on his way. A few minutes later, he greeted the table behind us and offered a selection of sodas to them. I don't know why I thought to look, but I turned around and noticed that it was a younger couple. My heart SOARED. For the first time (in my recollection), someone acknowledged that I was at least 21 years old!!!! It wasn't ME that was offered the sodas - he knew that I was an adult! It was only a few years ago that I wasn't allowed to sit at the bar at Applebees to pick up a to-go order because I had forgotten my ID. It was not too long ago that someone mentioned how sweet I was to my sisters, until Madison informed them I was their mom - and then she went on a rant about teenage pregnancies. I've been told I can't taste test things at grocery stores unless a parent was with me. I AM THE PARENT!!! And it was just a couple of years ago that I was cast as the 15 year old lead in a musical. So, even though I'm a couple of years into my 30's, I'm really wanting to look my age - or at least look old enough to not start the rant about irrisponsible teens! HOORAY! Today, I looked older than 21!

Comments

susan g said…
Aaah, if we all had such problems. Nah, I know what you mean . . . I think! That would be annoying. Just wait until you're called to be the Relief Society President (like me) and you think, WHat??!?! I'm just a kid!
mechan said…
that happen to me also it runs in my family my great grandma never looked her age until she got real sick then she looked her age 98
Bella said…
I think it's awesome that you look young! Better than looking old eh? Have a great day and we'll see you on Sunday!
Michelle said…
I can totally relate. Nothing is worse than subbing at a high school (the one you graduated from none the less) and being stopped in the hall by the hall monitor asking for your hall pass! Or going to the drive through and the person at the window asking if you are even old enough to legally drive!

Of course I have also had the extreme opposite happen to me as well. When I was coaching middle school cheerleading (I was like 21-22) Jon came to one of my games and my cheerleaders asked if he was my son! I couldn't believe it! He's older than me!
ThurberGang said…
Suz - that's the worst thing about it!! I'm the bishop's wife, but look more like the bishop's daughter!!!! The bangs have aged me, though. Several people have told me that - so that's good. And, if I can just get over this mess with the adult acne (which makes me even more the teenager!!) then maybe I'll finally stop worrying!!! R.S. president, eh??? (I threw the 'eh' in just for you . . . in honor of Bro. Ellis!!) Congrats!! Lots of big stuff happening in your life!!
susan g said…
I didn't know Milo was the Bishop. Wo! That's a biggie. I don't envy that calling one bit. Knowing a bit more about what goes on behind the scenes (what with all the meetings I go to now), I know how much time, energy and patience the Bishop puts in. And the wife . . . wow. But yeah, can you believe they called me to be RS pres when I was 7 months pregnant with kid #4!!? Anyway . . . ah, good times with Bro. Ellis. He's in Utah now btw. Just moved there earlier this year I think.
Robyn said…
Congratulations, Hilary. Or should I say, Cheers!

Where's a picture of the bangs??
Jen B. said…
Yeah -- Finally! I remember those days and now I must say that I am a comfortable 30 something. There is ease in knowing you are a little older but not gray yet. Way to go gal!

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The Revealing!

Proud to be a Detroiter?