Point Form Answer to your Burning Questions!!

Alright - so why was I kung foo-ing and chop suey-ing? Well, mostly just the antics of everyday life for Mrs. Thurber. . . like:
*no fridge - cooler driving me **CRAZY**
*kids
*whining
*driving
*computer monitor dying
*"where's daddy"
*crying
*friends
*supper
*"when is daddy going to be home?"
*immigration (or lack of!!)
*empty promises
*too much to do
*too little time
*messes
*lack of a maid
*lack of a cook
*lack of a nanny
hmmm. . . at the time I may have written even more down. . . but I really am doing better. However - does any one have any tried and true tips on getting your kids out the door when it's time to leave? This is a new problem at my house and I have to say that it is a huge source of anxiety to me as I'm driving around multiple cities taking kids places - if I start late, then it becomes a domino affect and I want to give up and lay down! :-) I get things all ready - and give them warnings, but things like Harry Potter Books and Webkinz seem to make them 'forget' that I've asked them to do something. . . I need help!!!

Thanks for all of your support!! I know that I'm not alone. . .

Comments

Celeste Adams said…
Sorry I can't help. My parents taught me by actually leaving me home. I didn't get to go to dance lessons because when my mom said it was time to go, it was and she was willing to leave with or without me. Doing this in Michigan is a little scarier than Idaho. So I totally understand, but I don't have any tricks up my sleeve.
mechan said…
i give my kids the 5 minute warning that it is time to go i shut off their cartoons i make them put on their shoes 15 minutes before we leave the door and at night before they go to bed all backpacks are packed and ready to go
and i tell them if we are late is not my fault it is your fault for not listening and making us late hope this helps
Wish I could help. I have the same problem, but my kids are still small enough that I PHYSICALLY carry them to the car and dump them in a seat. Not my best moments, but they do happen :)
The Amayesings said…
Did you watch "Everybody Loves Raymond"? If so, maybe you'll recall the episode where we learn the meaning of "AIS". The jist of it is that the dad would say "We're leaving in 5 minutes. In 5 minutes everyone needs to have their A#$ IN SEAT or I'm leaving without you." Of course this was to cure his wife's tardiness, and you don't want to say such things to your kids and you don't want to leave them home (See Celeste's comment).

So, maybe a race with THE TIMER, and if everyone beats the timer there is a prize. If they lose to the timer, they lose time with an activity they love.
Michelle said…
We have a getting out the door on time problem, but it's mainly on my shoulders since the kids are too young to get out the door themselves. Why can't I expect my 2 week old to get herself ready and in the car when it's time to go??? LOL!!

I have to agree with Celeste though. If you are ready to go and the kids aren't just say forget it, we aren't going today. Of course this doesn't work when the place they need to be is school, but if it's swim or ballet or whatever if they have to miss a class they may be more willing to get ready on time the next week. In fact just yesterday I told Nathan to get his shoes (he can follow simple commands like that) so we could go bye bye to play group and he wouldn't do it so we didn't go. I doubt it made any kind of impression on him since he's still too young to understand he missed out, but it sure did take the stress away from me.

If you are having trouble getting ready for school on time then make a rule that there are no fun things in the morning. You get up, you get ready, eat breakfast, and go. No books, no computer, no tv etc.
Tulip Girl said…
Do you have neighbors you can trust? I did so I did leave them. But I don't have that problem, when we have someplace to go everyone is begging to get out-one perk of homeschooling. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back and Looking Forward

The Revealing!

Proud to be a Detroiter?